The main thing to think about when buying a laptop is what you are going to be using it for. It does not make sense to buy a laptop of more than N350k that could teleport you to that place of your fantasy when all you need to do is some word processing and play some music.
In computing, there are types of users, depending on what you do with your PC.
Almost all laptops nowadays come with inbuilt wireless technology, hard drive and sound card, the difference between the thousands of models you will find are really little. I will be taking these divisions one after the other, so you will see where you fall in and get yourself informed next time you want to get that next computer. While the prices of the computers speak a lot about them, there is no harm to shop around.
Well, yes…the regular person who just surfs the web, watch movies, listen to music….picking a few of the plenty “little” things he/she does, this is your category. Most people in this group don’t know exactly what they want; in fact the interesting thing is that they have the “bar”, but at the end, they are pushed by the sales person to spend a lot more to get something more sophisticated.
– Pricing: Don’t pay so much for this kind of computer, let’s say about 90-95k (naira) for a notebook, and as low as 60k (naira) for a netbook. Either of them will satisfy you.
– Memory: You can do with 1GB ram or 2GB to have a smooth experience.
– Graphics: Well…trust me, for the little things you want to do, all you need is an integrated (shared) graphics. It shares memory with the operating system.
Err….don’t expect playing any HD games….but you can do a lot of solitaire and zuma!!!
If you do some photo editing or video editing, and you are building a career out of it, this is where you fall. These files are in large sixes and take lots of space.
– Memory: This should be taken into good consideration. You will need 4GB of RAM. This should be ok
– Graphics: For video and photo editing, you will need a dedicated graphics card memory in the range of 128MB and 1GB.
– Processor: You will need to go for a computer with a high processing power. Think of one of the i-series for Intel and their AMD equivalents.
Here you need something light in weight and small in size. Nowadays, there are notebooks and netbooks with batteries that can provide plenty hours of battery life after charging.
– Weight: You will ensure you have an extremely light laptop to ease your movement. Let’s say weight of about 2kg or less.
– Battery Life: there are laptops of 8 hours battery around; even some of 12 hours are surfacing around. You will need to get a laptop that can offer you a considerable amount of hours while discharging.
– Size: Let’s simply say screen size. 12”, 13”…..the smaller it gets the better for you. If you are a regular user but you travel a lot, a netbook will be preferable.
– Hard drive: All you need is a hard drive size of about 160GB
In addition, you can consider a tablet as it can do all your computing needs. Think of the Android based or the Apple Ipad. All you need to do is to install the right apps that you need, and of course, it is portable.
There a few ones that will fall in this category, if you do, I won’t be sentimental about it….game machines are very expensive and there is no way around it. You will need high specifications and they don’t come cheap.
– Size: You will need a large screen…don’t call it “portable” coz they aren’t portable. It could be thick….deal with it…just know that you’ve got the goods.
– Processor: You will need a quadcore processor, also known as a chip with 4 processors running. This is ideal and it is becoming really common in most gaming machines.
– Graphics: You will need a fully dedicated HD graphics to experience the best graphics a game has to offer. Nothing less than 1GB graphics dedicated memory is ideal.
– Memory: Go for the highest…4GB, 6GB, and 8GB
I hope i have been able to help you streamline the list of the computers you are thinking of buying, and i really hope you can make a good choice after reading this post.
Report by @demsenforever for Dashawn Enterprise